zaterdag 13 februari 2021

It is time for something else, this is the Way....

It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make, but on february 8th I pressed the send button.
By hitting send, all students received an e-mail announcing the closing of the school. It was short and to the point because I could not start to explain the reason behind this decision. Where to start explaining closing down after 11 years? It all began after the second exodus some 4-5 years ago. Just recovered from the first when many promising and talented students decided it was "time for something else". It was by far the most heard reason for people quiting Kungfu: "it is time for something else". Truth be told, some had legitimite reasons but most of the time, it was time for something else. It was never intended to be big business but we had something substantial going on in the Southeast part of Amsterdam. We were not new to the martial arts scene in the neighbourhood but pretty soon we became a force to be reckoned with, so to speak. We attended many competitions, domestic and abroad. Ironically we were better known outside the borders and although we always came home with trophies and medals, the most memorable part was always the journey itself.
This is kinda symbolic as to how the arts are supposed to be experienced, the Way and not the destination.

As time went by it seemed to become harder to keep people interested. Training had to be a little less hard and much more fun and there had to be new forms, new moves all the time instead of those boring basics. That is like walking a tight rope when focussing on quality rather than quantity. So yes, soon it became time for something else. Nevertheless, I like to think that teaching Shaolin Kungfu has made a difference in many students' lives. Let me talk about one particular student, his name is Anouar. I clearly remember the first day he came in, shy, slightly overweight and wearing this bright yellow angry birds t-shirt. Anouar was not super talented but did he work hard! When I said left, he went right and when I said up he went down, that kinda student. But he got better and changed from shy and insecure into the confident and nice young man he is today. And I could name a few like him. Being able to contribute and being a positive influence makes it all worthwhile and is the bigest reward there is. There is a story to every student and I could write a book on them. 

It is not completely over, once a teacher, always a teacher and I will continue to share with those who are willing to learn and eventhough it is with pain in my heart that I had to close the school, I am happy to have contributed and fulfilled my obligation to share and be part of this wonderful, ancient tradition.
We managed to establish a Shaolindisciple lineage in our school, handing down Shaolin Kungfu and each and everyone had a part in this. 
Finally, I would like to thank all of my teachers past and present, Shaolin Tempel China namely venerable Abbot Shi Yong Xin and all my students. It has been a wonderful ride but now it is time for something else, this is the Way... 

Omituofo!





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten